Thursday, 1 August 2013

Sometimes First Impressions Can be Wrong

Usually I'm pretty good at telling right off the bat if I'll like a product or not, but my trusty spider senses aren't always right. Case in point with the Hourglass Immaculate foundation; there was nothing but praise for this foundation in the beauty blogging world. Was this a solution to my shiny disco ball like complexion that haunts me during the summer months?


The buzz online peaked my interest, so I made a bee line to Sephora and tried it out.  My first impression: wow, this is really mattifying, it dries to a powder like finish and my I didn't even have to blot at all throughout the day.  I liked it so much, I didn't even bother asking for a sample and picked it up in Vegas, and that's pretty much where my love for it stopped.

I used it a couple of time and noticed that you have to work in small areas at a time because this foundation does dry rather quickly. It also did not provide as much coverage as I would have like it to, it is pretty much sheer coverage (I would say light coverage, but I would be exaggerating).  The SA told me it was buildable to a medium coverage, in reality it wasn't so buildable; every attempt I tried to build up the coverage resulted in me looking like I caked on my makeup.  Also was I the only one having a tough time working with this foundation? 

I tried every foundation brush I owned and it still resulted in a streaky mess (this product really does set fast). I applied it with my fingers and it was decent, but surprisingly I found that this foundation applied best with a beauty blender (ironic since, the packaging specifically says not to use a sponge) and if you really prefer a brush, the real techniques contour brush was the best suited to the Hourglass immaculate foundation.

Despite all this, I really did try to like this foundation because of it's mattifying power. What I didn't like about this foundation was that your skin really needs to be well hydrated because if you have any dry patches, this foundation will emphasis it. But I was still willing to look pass that and keep it, the straw that broke the camels back: it ended up breaking me out,so back to Sephora it went.

Did you guys know there was a 60 day return limit? When did that happen? I passed the 60 day limit by a month, but luckily the SA took it back.

First impressions: was great, but I was totally wrong on this product.
Was it worth the hype? Not really.

♥ Viv

No comments:

Post a Comment