Monday, 11 March 2013

First Impression/Worth the Hype?

Boy I don't know how this got posted before I finished writing it. If you clicked on it, it was a jumble of thoughts. Sorry
This is a combination post of first impression/did this live up to the hype; it's a little long over due but I was a little preoccupied with a potential new winter activity I inadvertently picked up ( I'll do a separate post on that later, I swear I will).



Most of you beauty junkies must have already heard about hydraluron already.  Hydraluron has been making it's rounds on the beauty blogging world and when I first read about it I desperately wanted to get my hands on a tube.  After a little googling, I realized it wasn't available in Canada, which is ironic because the product is actually made in Canada. I still stand by my opinion, sometimes shopping in Canada really sucks A**!

But then on one random day I decided to flip through my locate flyers and I spotted it, Hydraluron was exclusively available at Pharmaprix (AKA Shopper's Drug Mart for the rest of Canada).

I made my way to the closest Pharmaprix as quickly as I could (I even braved a snow storm just to pick up a tube). Could this be a dupe for my beloved Shu Uemura SOS moisture essence?

It was the perfect time to test it out too, MTL had been in a constant flux of hot and cold and my skin was definitely paying the price. If you haven't heard about Hydraluron, you may be wondering what all the fuss is about.  

Here is the breakdown, Hydraluron apparently can increase your skin's hydration overtime. Hydraluron  uses the world's purest grade of hydraluronic acid from the Netherlands which can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water. Apparently the idea is based off of hydration injection treatments employed in Swiss clinics.

My skin was in dire need of a little hydration boost, they constant flux in the weather and I'm talking extreme fluctuation.  One day we are like at -37 degree Celsius the next day we would be hoovering around 0 degrees. Throw in the heating and dry patches were popping up like crazy.
According to the directions, hydraluron should be applied underneath your moisturizer day and night. For the first 2 days I did this, I noticed no difference.  The dry patches were still there and showing no signs of going away.  So on the third day out of curiosity I decided to use Hydraluron on one side of my face and SOS hydration on the other side.  The end result, SOS moisture essence improved my dry patches by like 75% on the first night and they were practically gone by 2 or 3rd use.   Unfortunately the dry patches were still present on the Hydraluron side, perhaps constant use will be more effective? I barely noticed any improvement

First Impression: It was alright. 

It's saving grace was it's texture, it's not too runny or sticky, it felt nice on the skin, making it suitable for day and night use.  I think Hydraluron may be more effective when your skin only needs a little hydration boost.

Left: Hydraluron Right:Shu Uemura SOS hydration


Where as the Shu Uemura SOS moisture essence is much more liquidity and has a much more of an oily feel (as you can tell from the pic, SOS moisture essence practically ran down my wrist).  When I apply at night, I usually need to wait 10-15 mins to allow it to sink into my skin before applying my moisturizer/ night cream.  It has a much more heavier feel compared to Hydraulron, if you were to use this in the summer you do not need to apply a moisturizer on top because you will oil up like crazy.Which is why I only use the SOS moisture essence in winter. 

My thoughts: Although Hydraulron is much more affordable ($24.99 CAD) compared to Shu Uemura's SOS moisture essence ($75 CAD) and has a lighter feel I just did not find it as effective as everyone else has been saying. I think I enjoy Hydraulron much more in Spring/Fall time, because in the harsh Canadian winter it's just not cutting it.

 ♥ Viv

No comments:

Post a Comment