Saturday, 27 October 2012

Cooking time with Little J

It's not like I don't know how to cook,  I can make a mean bowl of chilly, whip a lasagna and shepherd's pie every now and then, basically I just can't cook anything Asian. I know it's ironic, I'm Asian and I can't cook anything Asian.  After a recent road trip with Little J, I discovered she and her family are great cooks, which instigated all these cooking lessons. And it couldn't have come at a better time, my Holiday X-mas work pot luck dinner is just around the corner.

I know, I know we're only in October why should I stress out about it so soon.  Here's why: my department is pretty multi-cultural, so our x-mas pot luck party at work usually turns into an ethnic journey for our taste buds.  I.E as the Asian person I'm expected to bring something Asian. The first year I worked there I actually made Singapore noodles, the following year I brought dumplings (the dumplings were hand made, just not by me) and last year I bought spring rolls (also not made by me or my family, I'm not ashamed to admit it I paid someone to make them).    And I have been getting slack for not making these dishes myself; the running joke in our office is that the French Canadian girl is more Asian than I am (to be honest I have to admit she is, she can make her own noodles). But to be fair other people get their mommy's to make their yummy dishes and all I have to say is "pot calling the kettle black".  

Two Sunday's in a row, I was over at little J's place learning to cook, number one on my list which is what I'll probably be bringing as my pot luck dish was the Mango Sago Dessert.

We attempted the Mango Sago dessert by guessing the ingredients, and I have to admit that Little J was like 85% right. Then it clicked in our head why didn't we just google it, attempt number 2 turned out much better the only problem is that mango's are currently not in season so we used frozen mangos instead, it's not as sweet as it should be.  Maybe I'll add in some condensed milk to sweeten it up during my solo attempt.

Mango Sago
Dish number 2, Little J showed me was the Vietnamese Spring roll.  I know there are not the most complicated things to make but if you read the directions of the rice paper they over complicate things. Little J's advice just wet and roll as you eat.  Which makes things a lot easier.

Attempt #1


Rookie mistake people make is over stuffing; as you can see I over stuffed my first attempt.

Attempt #2
I got better,  but I still needed to push down as I rolled, so Little J made me roll all the spring rolls as practice.

Attempt #3
Attempt #3 looked much better, so practice does make perfect.

We also made a spicy noodle dish but we did not have the right brand of noodles, it basically turned into mush and looked like we tried to stir fry rice noodles instead of egg noodles. Completely not picture worthy, but the taste was there.

Now I just have to practice my mango sago dessert and I think I'll have my pot luck dish out of the way.

♥ Viv

No comments:

Post a Comment