Wednesday, 29 February 2012

TAG: Confessions of a Shoeaholic

I saw this TAG on Jen's Blog (From head to toe), I thought it was such a fun TAG.  I wanted to join in on the fun even though I don't film.

Shoes are the one item I am willing to splurge on, to me shoes are the foundation to all outfits, I treat them like an accessory. I often buy shoes first and then work to build an outfit around them (I know it's a little a**-backwards.).

So here are the questions:

1. Heels or Flats?
At heart I am a Heels girl, outfits just look so much prettier with heels. There is just something magical about slipping on a pair of heels, you stand taller and exude more confidence. But if I have to run errands or I know I will be on my feet a lot, flats it is.

2. What are your go-to shoes?
My go to shoes are the following  ( I have 2 pairs that I constantly reach for)
The black ankle booties are from Nine West, I picked them up last winter during the post holiday sales. They are currently my go to black shoes.  I love the fact that I can pair them with pants or skirts (they hit at the perfect place on my ankles so I don't look like I have stick legs).
The plaid pumps are from the B2 line at Browns, I picked them up gosh I think at least 3 summers ago and I still reach for them. I'm a sucker for plaid pattern. But I love the fact that its a perfect punch of color/pattern when I'm dressed in solid colors.

3. What's your favorite shoe trend at the moment?
My favorite shoe trend at the moment, would have to be color blocking. I think its the perfect way of playing with bold colors especially if you're a little afraid to experiment with it clothing wise.

4. What's your least favorite shoe trend?
My least favorite shoe trend would have to be CROCs! (the original ones). I don't know who invented them and no one should be wearing them unless they are either a surgeon or a nurse.  Even then I would impose restrictions, working hours only!

5. What's your most expensive shoe?
My most expensive pair of shoes would have to be these Dolce and Gabbana one. It was love at first site.




6. What are your most wanted pair?
Hummm, there are so many of them, but I have been on the hunt for the perfect pair of black pumps, that can transition from day to night.  I would love to add a pair of classic black Christian Louboutin pumps to my collection.

7. What's your most embarrassing shoe story?
I have quite a few, but the most recent one involved this pair of Valentino shoes I picked up during my vacation in NY.

First of all in my defense I was just returning to work after walking all over NY in flats.  For some reason when I slipped on these shoes, I felt like I had sea legs, but I was determined show these puppies off. Where I work there is a slanted stone path in front of one of the entrances. It's typically a little uneven, especially after winter. So here I am, walking down this path to work , when I stumbled. No I didn't fall on my face (maybe I should have, that would have been less embarrassing), all the sudden I hear a random stranger yell out "Don't worry the streets in MTL are all uneven, its ok everyone stumbles, especially with shoes as high as yours. By the way I love your shoes, great choice." And all I'm thinking is OMG, shut up! shut up!, I don't need you drawing attention to me.  I thanked him and made continued on my way.

8. Pick a shoe and share a story.
This may also fall in the category of of embarrassing shoe story. 

This my first pair of stilettos. It was also my last, come to think of it, when I dug them out to photograph them, they're really not that high. I wore these to CW's university graduation which was held at Place des Arts. There is a gorgeous fountain outside, which makes for an ideal back drop for pics. So here we are posing for pics, when I stepped on the grass I  immediately sank into the grass and had a little difficult getting out, but I freed myself without drawing much attention to myself. Then we walked to towards the fountain, I accidentally stepped into a crack between 2 huge stone bricks (those who have been to Place des Art know what I'm talking about) and gotten my heel stuck. I couldn't wiggle myself loose, so CW's mom had to bend down and free me. Then CW's mom proceed to give me advice on how to walk with stilettos.

9. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
At my last count I owned the average number pair of shoes that is considered normal for a girl. 65.  (its true I saw on a documentary on the doc zone: High heel confidential).

10. When was the first time you wore heels?
I got my first pair of heels when I was in grade 3, I remember they were black suede heels adorned with gold music notes , the heel must have been like 2 cm.  But what I loved most about them was the sound they made when I walked. To this day I still love the sound of heels against the floor.

11. How much do you spend on shoes?
I typically will spend any where from $100-$300. That's because I attempt to catch shoes  on sale. I refuse to pay full price because I know a designer pair of shoes typically cost like $40 bucks to make.  Yes, I am not ashame to admit I like to stalk sales. I spot them then I stalk, and when price drops I pounce.

12. Where are your favorite places to buy shoes?
In MTL, there are not a lot of great places to pick up designer shoes, besides Holts (but they never really have sales). So my go to place for heels would have to be the bay (I would say its equivalent to a Macy, but lately they have revamped their stores, especially the one downtown so now its much more closer to a bloomingdales).  For flats my go to place is pretty ballerina.

13. Do you have a pair of shoes you regret purchasing?
I have several regret purchases, what can I say I was young them. But the ones I regret buying the most would be these Betsey Johnson Heels:

I was instantly attracted to them because 1) they reminded me of a pair Louis Vuitton 2) the detailing was irresistible, and 3) the soles wore a hot pink.  And here is why I regret the purchase. I'm typically a 7, but when I tried these on the 7 wore too big and the 6 wore a little snug. I really need a 6.5 but apparently Betsey Johnson did not make half sizes. So I bought the 6 thinking it would stretch out a bit (rookie mistake), plus I was able to slip my feet into them easily with a pair of stocking on. Now I find them a really tight, and haven't worn them since. I tried to pass them on to Lily, but her feet are too small.  On top of that I paid full price for them.

14. Show your favorite pair of shoes.
My favorite shoes would be my dolce's.  There is something about them that draws them to me, they're a classic style, but the combination of the nude and navy blue make them irresistible. Fret not I had my eyes on them and when they went on sale I snatched them up.





Feel free to leave your shoe confessions below.

♥ Viv

No comments:

Post a Comment