Saturday, 18 February 2012

Adieu Miss Dior Chérie

 Sample number 2 to come out of my personal version of a glossy box/birch box or whatever you want to call it was Miss Dior Chérie.

Miss Dior Chérie
Miss Dior Chérie is described as a a fruity floral elegance with notes of  Sicilian mandarin essence, calabrian bergamot essence, Egyptian Jasmine Absolute, Indian Tuberose Absolute, and patchouli essence.   As I'm typing this, even I am wondering what the hell are essences and absolutes.  I have vague idea of what essences and absolutes are so I decided to investigate a bit more. (I've always wanted a one-stop resource place for things related to makeup and fashion)

Perfume 101:
  • Absolutes and Essences have different attributes therefore they are used differently during the creation of a perfume.  According to the nose of Hermes, Jean Claude  Ellena, "absolutes are more rich, whereas essences are more exciting, vibrant and alive".
  • There are 5 main methods perfume can be made: expression, distillation, extraction, enfleurage, and softact [osMoz].
  •  Distillation is a process where solids are separated from the various, volatile elements present in a blend via evaporation. End result: isolation of the essence. 
  • Extraction is when the waxy substance that contains the flower's absolute, known as a concrete is mixed with alcohol and then chilled. The alcohol is then evaporated via a process of heating.  Once the alcohol has evaporated what's left is called the absolute.
 I have been wearing this for the past 3 days and I have to say it really isn't my scent. What can I say I'm a floral girl at heart. Even though Miss Dior Chérie contains several floral notes, I find it leans too fruity. I find  Miss Dior Chérie reminiscent of Viktor&Rolf's flower bomb, which I'm tempted to buy solely for the purpose of adding the bottle to my collection, except I find flower bomb too sweet for my taste.  The whole time I was wearing Miss Dior Chérie, I felt too old for this scent, I personally find this scent much more suited for a teenybopper. That being said I would definitely recommend it for my sister Lily, she tends to like the more fruity and sweeter scents.

Side note: I highly recommend reading Deluxe, how luxury lost its luster by Dana Thomas. Not only does this book provide a look into the world of luxury products but it also captures the evolution of luxury products ( when I finished reading it, my whole perception on luxury products has changed.  Let's just say I better starting saving my pennies for a Hermes bag, since Hermes seems to be the only luxury brand left by definition).  Deluxe, contains a chapter about perfumes.  The description of how Chanel No. 5 is made, also most makes me run to the nearest Chanel counter and purchase a bottle. The only problem: I really don't like the scent.  I also would die to visit Le Petit Capmadieu (one of the last major flower farms in Grasse) where the Centifolia rose and Jasmine are grown primarily for Chanel.

♥ Viv

No comments:

Post a Comment